- Prepare to pay an entrance fee. Cabrillo National Monument is a national park with entrance fees. Tip: The passenger car day pass is good for up to 7 consecutive days – just show your receipt! Visit the park fees & passes page to view options, like the Every Kid in a Park pass, which is free for all fourth-graders in the U.S.
- Check the tide chart before you go. Tide pools can only be explored during low tide!
- Wear appropriate clothing and footwear. It’s fun to wade in the shallow water of the tide pools, but bear in mind that you’ll be stepping on a lot of rocks too. You’ll also want comfortable clothing for walking around the park. Waterproof athletic or hiking sandals work great for both instances.
- Wear sunscreen! Don’t let the possible marine layer fool you into thinking that you can’t get a sunburn.
- Pack water and snacks. Little (and big) explorers need nourishment.
Looking for more things to do in Point Loma? Grab our free Beyond the Zoo Guide to Ocean Beach & Point Loma.